The Open Road: 50 Best Road Trips in the USA (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Get inspired and get ready to hit the road with the ultimate guide to America's best road trips! The Open Road: 50 Road Trips in the USA features:
- Strategic lists and road trip options: Choose from lists of the best coastal drives, cross-country journeys, trips for kids, awe-inspiring views, and more
- Flexible itineraries: 50 different road trips organized by region gear you up for any adventure, from a weekend getaway to a cross-country trip
- Can't-miss stops from coast to coast: Leaf-peep along the Blue Ridge Parkway, look for wildflowers on Arizona's Apache Trail, or gaze at the mysterious Marfa Lights blinking over the West Texas desert. Snap selfies with kitschy roadside attractions along Route 66, cross the Continental Divide in Colorado, and fall asleep to the sound of crashing waves at your campsite in Big Sur
- The best local flavors: Eat your way through Vermont's farms, dairies, orchards, and maple houses or indulge in gulf shrimp and fried okra in the South. Sample oysters and craft beers in Oregon or stop for shave ice along the scenic Oahu Coastal Loop
- Expert advice from seasoned road-tripper Jessica Dunham
- Comprehensive planning resources: Easy-to-use maps, helpful info on things to do, lodging, and dining for every route, clear directions to each route's starting point,and tips for minimizing your environmental impact along the way
- Gorgeous, full-color photos and a fold-out map
- Essential tips for health and safety on the road, navigating weather conditions, strategies for road-tripping with kids and four-legged friends, and playlists and podcasts to soundtrack your adventure
For more in-depth information on a specific road trip, check out Moon's bestselling road trip guides.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
About the Author
Jessica Dunham lives in Phoenix with her husband and two spunky dogs, but inherited a family summer home on Lake Champlain in Vermont. This seemed heavenly to her, until she tried to imagine getting there from halfway across the country. Then it required some effort and a little imagination. The only way to transport the herd from one place to another was to pile into a Jeep and drive.
On these drives, she came to appreciate the spontaneity a road trip provides, pulling over for a fruit stand or stopping to take pictures at a scenic overlook, as well as the sense of discovery. This is how she first encountered Route 66. It's also how she explored the Finger Lakes of upstate New York, followed the prairielands of Nebraska, dipped into the cornfields of Indiana, carved through Kentucky (with a stop at a distillery or two), and drove the Ozarks of Arkansas.
Formerly a travel guide editor at Madden Media, Jessica is now a freelance travel writer. She is also the author of Moon Route 66 Road Trip and Moon 52 Things to Do in Phoenix & Tucson. Her writing has been featured in PHOENIX magazine, Valley Guide, Phoenix Travel Guide, Arizona Visitor's Guide, Midwest Living, Phoenix New Times, Modern Luxury, Annapolis Visitors Guide, Connecticut Visitors Guide, Runner's World, Jane, Discover South Carolina, and more.
"Moon handbooks are always a pleasure to read. The writing is crisp, the research impressive, and the recommendations practical and down to earth."—Chicago Tribune
“The books are more easily readable than other guides. The main attractions are also marked with a special icon and sidebars and boxes highlight special information, making the Moon handbooks one of the most user-friendly guides in terms of visual appeal and organization…the quality is uniformly excellent."—Transitions Abroad
"Far from narrow minded, each Moon travel guide gives itinerary options for a variety of travelers’ budgets—from frugal to lavish. They make books catering to those who love the outdoors, those who have limited time, those staying exclusively in cities and those who’ve fully committed to living abroad. In all, they have hundreds of titles, ranging Bermuda to Budapest, that’ll teach you to embrace a new culture."—Gear Patrol, “The Best Travel Guidebooks for Every Journey”
"Moon handbooks have become known as well-written and exceptionally informative guides."—The New York Times
"Moon guides are perfect for the relaxed road tripper or outdoor explorer."—No Small Plan
"Moon handbooks are known for cannily combining logistical information with cultural background of a country or state."—Los Angeles Times